Apply now for the Gloria Archer Legacy Bursaries.  Click here to learn more   


Saskatchewan Tenant Insurance

Unless you have tenant insurance you’ll be paying out of pocket to replace your belongings if something happens. Get coverage and protection for your personal property.

Knight Archer Insurance offers tenant insurance that covers everything from electronics to furniture and jewellery to clothing. Contact us for a quote, and let us worry about the details so you don’t have to.

Get a Quote

Tenant insurance

Tenant insurance also known as renters insurance, offers peace of mind that helps protect your valuable possessions when damage is caused to them by perils or losses like fire, theft, and water escape.

Coverage is also provided for third-party liability that protects you in the event you are at fault for damages to property you do not own. If the building experiences water damage due to your  actions, you could be held responsible for paying the costs of the damages to the landlord and other tenants impacted.

A tenant policy also provides valuable additional living expense benefits which can cover the added costs of meals or staying in a hotel when your home is inhabitable due to a loss such as fire or water damage. 

Insurance Image

Who should get tenant insurance?

If your landlord requires insurance, it is a necessary step before moving in. Not all landlords will require this type of insurance to move into an apartment though. But, if you are renting a place long-term, you should consider getting tenant insurance to cover your belongings. This will save you hassle and ensure protection over your personal items in case something out of your control happens to the place you live. 

You should get tenant insurance if:

  • Your landlord requires you to carry this form of coverage
  • You’re a long-term renter
  • You have personal items that you would want replaced if there was a loss
  • You don’t want to pay out of pocket for damages you are found liable for in common areas or other units 
  • If you want to be protected from damage and unexpected additional living expenses
insurance image transparent

Do you have enough coverage?
Let's find out.

What tenant insurance can do for you

You should consider getting renters insurance if you’re worried about your personal belongings being damaged or destroyed. Insurance is the best way for you to afford repairs or replacements for whatever has been damaged. Without this insurance, you are responsible for all of your own items, even if the damage is caused by something outside of your control. 

Tenant insurance also helps to protect from high legal costs that can arise when you are liable for unintentionally or accidentally causing damage to someone else’s property within the building. It also can provide coverage for unexpected living costs should you require temporary living arrangements if a claim forces you out of your home.

insurance image transparent

What does tenant insurance cover in Saskatchewan?

Every renter's policy will be different and cover different amounts of damage. Here is what you can expect when choosing tenant insurance in Saskatchewan. 

Renter insurance can provide coverage for:

  • personal property
  • legal liability
  • additional living expenses
  • improvements and betterments

If you want to protect your personal belongings or want to be covered for any accident that occurs in your unit, you should look into tenant insurance. 

What is not covered under tenant insurance in Saskatchewan?

There are a few things to consider when purchasing rental insurance as some things may not be covered. But, if you are finding that your renter's insurance does not cover everything you need it to, there may be additional policies or options that can be added.

What most tenant insurance does not cover:

  • Damage from flooding, or earthquakes (Additional policies may be available for this type of damage)
  • Your car, but will cover the items in your car
  • Undocumented items
  • Damage done by rodents or pests
  • Property damage

If you live somewhere vulnerable to break-ins, you may want to consider an additional policy as well to help cover all possibilities.

Insurance companies that we work with to find you the best tenant insurance:


The cost of tenant insurance in Saskatchewan

One great thing about contents insurance for renters is that it’s relatively budget-friendly in Saskatchewan. 

Renters insurance costs around $17 per month, which is $197 per year. However, depending on which coverages your select, your costs could be between $200-$400 per year. Renters insurance in Saskatchewan’s costs will vary by place and plan, so be sure to get in touch with us for a free quote so you’ll know what you can expect to pay.

Factors that affect the cost of tenant insurance

Renter’s insurance costs will vary, and it depends on a few things. Every plan will be different or vary slightly though many plans will be budget friendly. We’re always happy to help you walk through your options and find a policy that fits exactly what you need.

Here are some things that will affect the cost of renters insurance: 

  • The amount of coverage you need
  • The city you live in
  • Your deductible amount. If you are willing to pay a higher deductible, the lower your insurance rate will be
  • Your credit score
  • Your age
  • Your insurance history, including your claims history
  • What type of additional coverages you purchase, such as sewer backup or overland flooding
  • Discounts. If you have fire alarms, fire sprinklers, or burglar alarms, you may receive a discount

The best way to find out what a policy will cost for you is to get in touch with us for a free quote. You will need a rough inventory of your valuables and remember to ask about any discounts that may be available for increased security or alarms. Renters insurance can be very affordable, and we want to help you get the best policy for the best price.

Have a question? We'll reach out.

If you're looking to learn more about what we offer, we'll email or call you to answer any questions you may have. Our team is flexible, approachable, and ready to make the process as easy as possible.

Or if you prefer...

Book an Appointment

Submitting a tenant insurance claim with Knight Archer

You’ve purchased tenant insurance because you hope to never need it, but claims do happen, and we want to make it less stressful for you to deal with. 

Here is a step-by-step breakdown on how to submit a tenant insurance claim: 

  • Tell your landlord and anyone you live with that you are filing a claim. Your landlord or building manager may have information you’ll need to help your claim run smoothly.

  • File a police report if necessary. This is an essential step if you have been a victim of burglary, vandalization, or malicious action. Some insurance agencies will expect proof of a police report.

  • Contact your broker. They will help to speed up the process and make sure you have all of the documentation you’ll need for a successful claim.

  • Document everything. You will need to document every item you claimed in the insurance policy and its worth. If you need to spend money on immediate replacements, always keep a copy of those receipts.

  • Complete the claim. You will work with an adjuster from your insurance provider that will help guide you through the claims process. We’re here to help answer questions and make sure your adjuster is helping you throughout the process. A reminder, you have two years from the date of a loss to finalize your claim. 

  • Update your personal possessions. As your things are processed and your claim is approved, you should always update your personal possessions on your policy. 

Claims Tip: Document what you own in your apartment when you’re settled in your place. Go around and take photos or write down what you have and store in a safe place. This will make things easier to figure out what has been damaged if you have to make a claim.

Car Insurance Image

Get a tenant insurance quote

If you rent long-term and have valuable possessions you will struggle to replace if the worst happens, you should get renters insurance. That way you know you’re protected and won’t have added stress in there’s an accident or event outside of your control.

Our team of experienced brokers will help you find the best tenant insurance to fit your needs and budget. Contact us today to get a free quote.

Get a Quote

If you prefer in-person or over the phone, you can always chat with one of our account executives. 

Book an Appointment

Tenant Insurance FAQs

If I have roommates, does my tenant insurance cover them as well?

Unfortunately, in most cases if your roommates are not family members (such as a child, spouse, sibling, or parent) they will not be covered under your policy. They will need their own renter's insurance with documented items under their policy.

What happens to my tenant insurance when I move?

When you move to a new building or an apartment your policy remains intact and there is no transfer fee. This makes it easy to apply for and hassle-free to keep. Just make sure you update us about the move and any change in your possessions. 

What is the term length of tenant insurance?

With Knight Archer Insurance you can choose a one-year term length and renew it for however much you need.

Can I buy short-term tenant insurance?

If you are only planning to stay at an apartment until a longer-term place is ready, you will still have to buy insurance for a full year. If you’re staying in Saskatchewan after you move you can have your coverage switched to your new location in most cases. You can also cancel the policy otherwise, keep in mind a cancellation fee applies, but it is worth the peace of mind you get for having coverage.

How do I cancel my tenant insurance policy?

If you contact us today, we will help you cancel your policy or switch over to homeowners insurance in most cases. 

Proudly serving you across the prairies

View our locations


left quote

People from a variety of ethnic backgrounds work here making them great at serving and supporting a vast customer base.

right quote

Deej Patel


left quote

I went to this Knight Archer office to get a few important documents notarized. I was received by a staff at the counter and transferred my request to an official who dealt with my request. The notary who helped me with my documents provided me with the best service I've ever received thus far in Canada. She was very much courteous with the service and I just want to point out that Knight Archer staff does very well treating their customers. I appreciate it very much and encourage the management to continue doing the same.

right quote

Robin John


left quote

Knight Archer in Vic Ave is a great place for customers. I had some issues regarding my vehicle. Lisa was wonderful and helped me through the process and everytime I felt my concerns are valued and sincerely solving the problem. The communication was great, smooth and top of all quick.

right quote

Nazat Hussain


left quote

Always a pleasant visit! Friendly, knowledgeable and efficient staff make for a quick and easy process!

right quote

Stephanie K


left quote

The team is very good at Knight Archer Insurance, I visited that place first time and it's totally new place for me (New Immigrants In Canada) they explained everything with very easy way and gave me some extra knowledge about the future process as well.

right quote

Shail Patel


left quote

I was blown away with the service I received here by both Lisa and Vlera. I had a bit of a complicated situation and felt caught between provincial systems but both women worked the problem with me until we had a good solution. Extremely helpful, professional and made what was tricky a good experience.

right quote

Tasha Cox

Let's get started!

Our expert team of local brokers will help you find the best coverage possible.